Test server findings.

MOAIAP

I'm posting what I find strange. I call them findings because they could be intended! feel free to ignore/strikeout the ones that are.

1) Bought a pack horse, but could not ride it. It does not show the saddlebags either. I dismissed it, and re-deployed it, and now it's ridable (but looks smaller somehow), while keeping it's hidden packs.
The way loa does it is that players craft the saddlebags with fabrication skill, and apply them to a horse. The horse changes graphic to horse with bags, and gets the "open pack" context menu. The packie is still ridable normally.

2) The fabrication economy seems weird:
Cloth is 14c a piece (buy).
A shirt that takes 4 pieces is worth 4c to a vendor (7c per when delivered as a BOD, from a single 100 shirt test test).
A single piece of cloth is also about 4c when sold to a vendor
It's 4 times more lucrative to sell cloth to the vendor than manufactured shirt.
I believe value for cloth (both buy and sell) is strange, and should be lower, or values for manufactured items and rewards should be much higher.
Furthermore, since 1 cotton makes 5 bolts, it means each picked cotton is worth 20c.

3) With metalsmith something similar happens.
Iron ore sells for 0,7c (7c per 10 ore).
Iron ingot sells for 1,8c (but it requires 5 ore to make 1 ingot, so you get 0,36c per ore).
A dagger (2 iron ingot) sells for 4c (that's 10 iron ore, so you now get 0,4c per ore).
The more work you put into an item, the less it sells for. The best way to make money as a smith is to mine and sell the ore.
As a comparison, ore in official servers is worth 6c each, when sold to a vendor.
Smelting ore with the pickaxe ability simply destroyed the ore (when failing, some got consumed, on success all of it was consumed, never got any ingots).

4) Carpentry:
Using the axe, it turns 1 log into 1 board.
Using the carpentry table it requires 5 logs to craft 1 board.
Boards Are worth more than twice the value of logs (I believe they should be equivalent if milling them is instant, or a little bit more if it takes time crafting 1 by 1).
Since a bow requires 8 boards, and a loom 75, I believe the axe is correct on this one. 40 logs for a bow seems too much to me.
A crafted bow sells for 6c (it took 6 boards to make), so selling the boards themselves instead of crafting almost doubles the income.

Last edited:

Merrenwen

Administrator
Staff member
1) Bought a pack horse, but could not ride it. It does not show the saddlebags either. I dismissed it, and re-deployed it, and now it's ridable (but looks smaller somehow), while keeping it's hidden packs.
The way loa does it is that players craft the saddlebags with fabrication skill, and apply them to a horse. The horse changes graphic to horse with bags, and gets the "open pack" context menu. The packie is still ridable normally.
Pack horses should not be ride-able...we had pack horses more than a year before official did, and so there was no specific model for them, so we made them smaller to differentiate. They are meant to be "mules" so we tried to use the size as an indicator of that. Since official is allowing you to ride pack horses (? seems weird to me --how do ride a horse that's loaded down) perhaps a happy medium is to leave both our pack horses and allow saddlebags to still be made, but the hold amounts much lower on the saddlebags. Aaaaand we'll need to fix those goofy pack horses so that you can't ride them anymore :p

2) The fabrication economy seems weird:
Cloth is 14c a piece (buy).
A shirt that takes 4 pieces is worth 4c to a vendor (7c per when delivered as a BOD, from a single 100 shirt test test).
A single piece of cloth is also about 4c when sold to a vendor
It's 4 times more lucrative to sell cloth to the vendor than manufactured shirt.
I believe value for cloth (both buy and sell) is strange, and should be lower, or values for manufactured items and rewards should be much higher.
Furthermore, since 1 cotton makes 5 bolts, it means each picked cotton is worth 20c.
It's all screwed up, and needs to be looked at.

3) With metalsmith something similar happens.
Iron ore sells for 0,7c (7c per 10 ore).
Iron ingot sells for 1,8c (but it requires 5 ore to make 1 ingot, so you get 0,36c per ore).
A dagger (2 iron ingot) sells for 4c (that's 10 iron ore, so you now get 0,4c per ore).
The more work you put into an item, the less it sells for. The best way to make money as a smith is to mine and sell the ore.
As a comparison, ore in official servers is worth 6c each, when sold to a vendor.
Smelting ore with the pickaxe ability simply destroyed the ore (when failing, some got consumed, on success all of it was consumed, never got any ingots).
Same thing, we're still trying to get a handle on BODs and the recipes themselves, item values will be looked at after that.

4) Carpentry:
Using the axe, it turns 1 log into 1 board.
Using the carpentry table it requires 5 logs to craft 1 board.
Boards Are worth more than twice the value of logs (I believe they should be equivalent if milling them is instant, or a little bit more if it takes time crafting 1 by 1).
Since a bow requires 8 boards, and a loom 75, I believe the axe is correct on this one. 40 logs for a bow seems too much to me.
A crafted bow sells for 6c (it took 6 boards to make), so selling the boards themselves instead of crafting almost doubles the income.
Same thing, we're still trying to get a handle on BODs and the recipes themselves, item values will be looked at after that.

Merrenwen

Administrator
Staff member
We removed the tool abilities to instantly convert resources. This is an old artifact from the main servers that we never wanted in the first place but wound up putting in by popular demand. Since official removed it ages ago we figured it was time to finally put it to rest.